Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Catching up; Fill 1 and a Memorial Day 5K

Well, everyone, I really wanted to post sooner but time has really gotten ahead of me. I have been juggling a lot of day to day stuff, but I am happy to be back. Reflectively speaking, I am happy to say that I have not gained any weight. Why do I say this? The old Fat Bastard would have blamed the busy past few weeks on the gorging of burgers, Philly cheese steaks and pizza on the “who has time to think healthy on a day like this?” frame of mind.

My wife is recovering from a hysterectomy. The surgery went well and she is recovery faster than I thought. But the driving to sports practices, house cleaning and puppy training has fallen on my shoulders. She handled this task well a month ago for my surgery. So, now is my time to shine. Now, with the kids being out of school, everything should be easier to manage.

I have not lost any weight and had my first fill yesterday. But like I said, the victory is that I did not gain. It seems as though I hit a major plateau. It’s like my body is saying, “Hold on you Fat Bastard. You starve me with a pre-op diet of protein shakes for two weeks. You put this strange thing on my stomach. Then you stick to clear liquids for a week. No way, my friend, I’m going to hold every calorie you give me now.”

Why is it a victory? Simply because throughout the last two weeks I have been able to maintain a decent workout schedule and even added lifting weights to the mix. I try to get three lifting and three cardio sessions per week.

My other big victory – I entered and walked in a Memorial Day 5k. In fact, I finished in 43:36 placing first in my age group of walkers. I would have like to have jogged it, and if I did, I would have never placed first in the runners. But, for my first 5K, I am happy. There is another one in July that I am looking forward to. Don’t know yet if I’ll walk or run.

As far as my first fill, I have an AP Large Lap Band that holds 14 ccs of saline. There were 1.5 ccs in there, which I suppose is standard. He explained that generally 1 cc remains in the port and tube. So, yesterday, he added 3 ccs. I asked him if that was somewhat aggressive and he said that it was but that since there was so little saline in there, there was room to play. He said that the next few adjustments will probably be somewhat less aggressive as we will be chasing the ever-elusive Sweet Spot.

It’s hard to tell whether or not I feel much restriction yet. Yesterday, I was limited to liquids and yogurt. Today, I was able to start with a little bit more solid foods. So I will have to keep you posted.

20 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are doing great! That is quite a fill you got, hope it is a good level for you! I have heard many stories of docs who are not aggressive and that can be very frustrating. My band already had 3 in it when it was "installed" so my first fill was not so aggressive. Great news about the working out - three weight and cardio sessions is a great schedule. Congrats on the 5k! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on doing the 5k. I have been there on the hysterectomy front and I'm sure your wife will be feeling like herself in no time.

    Its good to see husband take up the slack for their wives. I'm sure she is appreciative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The weight will come off. Patience isn't something we are good at, that's for sure. Once you get the perfect fill and hit the sweet spot you'll be on your way. And great about the exercise. I think that was what broke my 2 month plateau. I see a personal trainer today and hope to see a big change. And yeah to you for giving the wife a break after her surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you wife is doing well. It sounds like she is. Now you get to be Mr.Mom. Hopefully even if you dont find the sweet spot with this fill then at least it will probably be close. Awesome job on not gaining. That is how I feel about the last month for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to hear from you. I'm glad things are going well. Good job on the 5K!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You sound so positive and busy busy. Well done on keeping level, we know how valuable that is. Hope your wife recovers soon.
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't sweat the fact that you didn't lose during Bandster hell...you will see a loss now that you've had a fill. Congrats on your first 5k and {{{healing}}} vibes to your wife.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on completing the 5k. Sounds like things are going well. Hope you get some good restriction with the fill. Wishing your wife a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great news on the 5K, and good for you being a loving and helpful DH! Hope your wife is feeling better.

    The fact that you did not gain is a MAJOR victory! The restriction will kick in soon. My first fill was 4 ccs and I only have a 10 cc band. Next fill went up to 6 ccs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the 5k! I think that's a great time to complete it in too.

    Here's hoping you feel some restriction from your fill too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad your wife is doing well. Congrats on the 5K - great accomplishment. Hope the fill starts the scale moving in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done on the walk Brother.....I really feel that exercise is the key to lose weight quickly with the band......

    Hoping the fill kicks in.......

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on the 5K and I'm keeping my fingers, toes, and eyes crossed that this fill will start helping you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on the maintain and placing first in your fun run (walk) division. I hope your wife is well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey! Where've you been lately??

    Hope things are still going well band-wise! Miss you out here in blogland!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey, how is everything coming along? :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Jordan, hope all is going well with you and that your wife is recovering. Let us know how you're doing??
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello....McFly....where are you?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well done on the 5k! You sound so positive about everything I am sure you will be jogging the next one. Hope the fill does it for you. Its great that you didn't gain. At this point you can yoyo a bit so you did really well to stay the same.
    Enjoy your wifey duties, good for you for taking over while your wife recovers. Hope she is well soon.

    ReplyDelete